Friday, April 07, 2006

Sakura in the Rain

If there is one thing the Japanese love more than Asahi or Natto, it is Cherry Blossoms. The short spring blooming of the Sakura is a subject of national importance. For weeks ahead of the trees flowering people speculate about when the peak time for viewing will be.

All this enthusaism has rather rubbed off on me, and so I was really looking forward to Kanazawa finally being inundated by pinkish white blossoms. It has been a bit chilly lately, but it was warm enough that we are getting the first wave of blooms now. I was all set to go out and run my camera through its paces some more on Wednesday, but when I got up it was pouring rain. Again. It rains a lot in Kanazawa!

Undeterred by the bleakish weather I headed out anyway, with my umbrella in one hand and my Nikon in the other. As things turned out, I got some very nice pictures, despite the crummy weather. The water drops on the the flowers lend a certain atmosphere that wouldn't be present in a more typical 'dry and sunny day' picture. Though luckily the yesterday and today were both quite warm and sunny, and I have a some nice 'dry and sunny' pictures too.

The buds aren't all open just yet, this weekend and early next week should see the peak blooming. Our Hanami (Cherry Blossom Viewing) party is this Sunday, so we got that scheduled just right!

In other news the female contingent of my immediate family is coming to visit! My dear Mum will be here for Golden week, with my sister following the week after. They have to come one at a time as I don't have room for more than one house guest. It *is* a rather small apartment. I'm rather excited, to say the least, it will be nice to see them after an absence of 7 months. Mom is worried I'll be too tired by the time Liz shows up, but I think things will be fine. I'm too overjoyed to be worried about that.

In other other news, I have finally crossed over to the Dark Side. I have.. I have... *sigh* I have read and sort of enjoyed the first Hairy Pothead, er I mean Harry Potter book. It was what it was, a fast wish fulfilling escapist read for kids. Nothing that special for a 24 year old Japan bound male, but also not the horrible story that I expected after watching the atrocious film adaptation. I checked it out of the local library, as there isnt much in the local library, but they have Potter! I suppose I will have to get the next book out this week. Alas, save yourselves, its too late for me!

And now on to the Sakura...

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

No comments: