Thursday, March 11, 2010

Goats!



While I had a lot of fun exploring Maui, the reason I was on that particular island was to visit my sister, and the reason she was there was goats. She was taking part in an internship at an organic goat dairy.



While the experience with the owners wasn't as pleasant as she had hoped, caring for the goats was. She enjoyed caring for the goats, especially the babies. There were about a hundred kids born in mid to late December, so they were about two months old when I was there in mid February.



As we walked down to the field the young ones were in, my sister called out, "Hey Babies!" to which about 75 kids said "maaaaah" and came running. It was one of the most adorable things I've ever seen in my life. They were hoping for treats and climbed all over each other to get at us.



While the babies were totally cute, the real focus of the operation is their moms and the milk they provide.



This one was on the milking stand, and doesn't seem to care very much for the process, though I can certainly understand why she wouldn't.



A few kids had been born in February as well, this one was just a few days old. It was great to see what my sister had been up to over the last few months, and to get a glimpse of her life apart from Denver. She will be on her way home soon, so thankfully I will get a chance to see her again before I head off on my own adventures.

No comments: