Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sunrise Over Zenkoji


I had the misfortune of a pretty bad cold and very stuffy nose during the early part of our trip. This not only killed my voice, it also made it very hard to sleep. Our first morning in Nagano saw me wide awake at a shocking 5:30 AM. Rather than waste the morning by failing to get back to sleep, I grabbed my camera and made for the temple, primed to get some rare early morning photos.


Despite the hour, I was far from the only visitor out and about in the temple area. Zenkoji opens at 6 in the morning, and a fair number of people were there for the early morning service held in the inner area of the temple. The line stretched so far that I needed to shoot a panorama just to cover a part of it!

1 comment:

Island Auntie said...

Maybe they were praying for a quick recovery from the nasty cold they were suffering from?