Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Colorado Railroad Museum



Nestled between North and South Table Mountains west of Denver is the Colorado Railroad Museum. With a collection of dozens of examples of locomotives and rolling stock, it offers a record of Colorado's rich railroading history. It is also a magnet for young boys. We have a photo of me from a very, very long time ago running through a narrow-gauge caboose with a truly amazing grin.



It had been quite a while since I had last visited the museum, so on a lazy Sunday afternoon, my sister and I decided to drop in on the relics. I must say, the place seemed quite a bit smaller than it was all those years ago.



I had a great time strolling down memory lane, and the bright colors made for a fun few hours of photographs. My poor sister had less of a great time, though she certainly enjoyed herself, waiting for an ex-train obsessed currently photography obsessed sibling probably wasn't what she had expected.



I'll admit, I'm pretty happy with a lot of the shots I got, though my capture of the Manitou and Pikes Peak Cog train could have been better. You can't really see that the whole locomotive was built at an angle to allow it to stay even while crawling up the steep tracks on Pike's Peak.



It seems that every day I learn something new, either about my two year old camera or some of the software I use to post-process. I'll admit, especially now that I have Lightroom, I do a lot more post work that I have in the past. While I still work hard to get a great shot right out of the camera, the tools that I have, especially when I shoot in RAW format, are just too compelling to pass up. Almost all of the shots have seem a little bit of manipulation, though I have a few coming later in the week that have seen a lot more...





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some great shots. I appreciate the contrasts that make the trains pop out of the background. I really enjoy my time out there at the museum and, I too, ran through those cabooses as a boy.

Enjoy Colorado's railroad history. I always do.

Unknown said...

I had a good time. Send me the pic of me getting hit by a train, please?
I am curious to see it.