Sunday, December 11, 2011

Lunar Eclipse


Last night saw the last total lunar eclipse for a couple of years. It seems every time one of these rolls around I am either far from the optimal viewing area, or the sky is totally covered with clouds. Luckily this past weekend saw Japan in an excellent place to view the eclipse and the night was as clear a winter night as you could ever ask for.


Tess and I were walking back to my house and noticed a bite slowly being taken out of the gorgeous full moon. It was almost unnerving, watching the darkness spread across the face of the moon. It was hard to not stare at it as we walked.


Once we got home, I quickly swapped out lenses on my camera and grabbed my tripod for a little astronomical photography. I must admit, I am pretty happy with the results. My setup for this sort of thing is far from professional, but I got some good shots. It was exciting to watch the moon turn a blood red, and to record it. Though the clear December air was very chilly, it was a good thing I had the fixings for a good nabe dinner once the eclipse had finished.


2 comments:

Mia said...

Those are some good shots of a very difficult subject to capture without the right equipment.

Island Auntie said...

I was fairly certain that I would get more out of the lunar eclipse by viewing someone else's pictures than I would by getting up at 2:30 AM to try and see it with my own eyes, weather permitting. Your striking series readily met my expectations.